11.18.2005

Mary Kills Vibe at Award Show; Editor Fights Back

Vibe's Mimi Valdes
We told you that Mary J expressed her disappointment about her Vibe cover at the magazine's recent bootleg awards show. In the words of Mary J.: "You Remind Us" of a crackhead on this cover so we understand your anger. For those of you who haven't heard, here's a little taste of what Mary said as she was accepting her VLegend Award and Vibe's response penned by Editor-in-Cheif Mimi Valdes courtesy of www.vibe.com and New York Post's Page 6:

An excerpt from Mary J. Blige's acceptance speech for the 2005 VLegend Award:

"I have to tell you this," Blige shared in front of the audience, "the photo of me on the cover is disgusting. I can't believe you would put a photo like that on your cover...Last but not least, I gotta thank Quincy Jones and this whole VIBE thing. Absolutely. For so many years, VIBE has given me great, great, great covers, but I must say, I'm very, very disappointed at the cover this time, so Mimi, me and you really need to talk, as women. No disrespect, but I really hated the way you guys shaved off my head, pushed my forehead way back behind my ears. I'm just insulted, so that's no respect on the cover, but I thank you, and I appreciate this award."

VIBE Awards: VIBE Editor Responds To Mary J. Blige
November 15, 2005

Dearest Mary,

Dissing VIBE while accepting our VLegend Award was extremely disappointing. I'm sorry you find your most recent cover insulting. It was definitely not our intention. If you look at the big picture, we've been supportive of your career beginning with the first issue of VIBE in the fall of '92. You've graced our cover seven times, more than any other artist.

Besides your desire to make a private conversation public, your accusations are untrue. How your hair looks on that cover is between you and your hairstylist. I swear, your hairline is no different than the Polaroids you saw at the shoot or the snapshots we printed in my What's Good column. In any case, you felt compelled to speak your peace, and at the end of the day, isn't this truly why we all love Mary in the first place?

One of the hardest things about working at VIBE is not to take things like this personally. For myself and the rest of the edit staff, working here is more than just a job. We take our roles as journalists very seriously, but we're die-hard fans as well. I'd be lying not to admit how hurt we were by the negativity you brought to our celebration, especially since you were being honored. After last year's incident, we went above and beyond to make this year's ceremony drama-free. We did not want to let '04's unfortunate events deter us from our mission to celebrate the best of the best in urban music. It's sad you did not share in this vision with us.

Peace,

Mimi Valdés
Editor-in-Chief

1 Comments:

Blogger Schanina said...

That picture is not flattering. The cover image is a huge part of the magazine industry..and vibe should have known that cover wasn't flattering. People may not buy it...cause they can't relate to it. It's not glamorour, it's not hip hop, it's tragic!!! I feel Mary on that one. Usually a bad picture means a burnt bridge, but I don't think that was the case here.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Check me out!
online
Company, Business and Corporate Logo.
Company Logo Listed on BlogShares
Search Popdex:
eXTReMe Tracker